Recent Police misconduct cases and case law in Massachusetts have created confusion regarding what is required under the law concerning Police conduct. This seminar will clarify what is expected from Massachusetts Police Officers and what the consequences must be when a Police Officer’s misconduct places themselves unfit to continue in the Police Profession because of their failure to be truthful or the seriousness of their misconduct.
Cases to be Discussed
- Lachance v. Erickson
- Brady v. Maryland
- Kyles v. Whitely
- Giglio v. United States, 405 U.S. 150 (1972)
- City of Boston v. Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association
- City of Pittsfield v. I.B.P.O. Local 447
- Recent issues regarding Medford Police Officers
Other Items to be Discussed
- Brady List what is it?
- What has to be disclosed?
- What is exculpatory?
- Documented Untruthfulness?
- Criminal Convictions?
- Internal Affairs records/convictions?
- Internal Discipline?
- Whose responsibility is it to provide info?
- What are the Police Chiefs responsibilities?
- What is a Discovery Notice?