Cellphones, Cell Towers, Social Media, Pole Cameras, and more!
This course is designed to give investigators basic skills to prepare technology search warrants for digital devices as well as data from different service providers and make sure they are using the language that each service provider requires. Students will learn how to create and maintain a Curriculum Vitae; as well as the basic structure of a Search Warrant application, return of service, and affidavit. Furthermore, students will learn about the most recent legal updates on laws that guide Massachusetts law enforcement officers when applying for technology Search Warrants. This course will cover the ever changing world of cellphone, cell tower, social media, and other geolocation based Search Warrants that can provide invaluable evidence in a wide gamut of criminal activity. Students will leave class with the knowledge of not only how to author a technology Search Warrant affidavit, but also resources as to kept themselves up to date on the case laws and verbiage to keep them on the cutting edge of criminal investigations.
- Legal updates
- Creating and maintaining a Curriculum Vitae
- Cellphone seizures
- Preserving online data for social media and other service providers
- Filling out Search Warrant application and return of service
- Tips for your “Experience” paragraph
- Authoring Search Warrant Affidavits for: Cellphones
– CSLI (Cell Towers)
– GeoLocation Data (Google)
– GeoFence Location Data (Google)
– Social Media (Facebook/Instagram/SnapChat)
– Pole Cameras