This one-day Field Training Officer (FTO) Refresher course is designed to update FTOs on current training practice and liability issues. This program focuses on the continued development of the FTO as a leader, role model and trainer. This course will also give FTOs an understanding of the civil process including Section 1983 claims and the protections available to FTOs through case law and state statutes.
- The importance of providing accurate and defensible numerical and written evaluations
- New methods of providing feedback
- Establishing an effective learning environment
- Developing and updating the Recruit Task Book
- The importance of Role Modeling
- The importance of Remedial Training
- Officer Safety Principles
- Current Legal Trends
- Supervisory liability and the concept of the third-part liability
- An FTO’s duty to intervene
- Review current liability issues in law enforcement
This course is recommended for Field Training Officers who have completed the basic FTO course or previous FTOs who are looking to re-enter the field.